Tuesday 9 September 2008

3oclockreep

In typical Westerberg style, Paul Westerberg has started putting out his releases really cheap online. 49:00 which was sold for 49 cents was pulled pretty quickly. However, the newest record (and I'm aware calling it a record is probably incorrect but whatever) 3oclockreep is very special.

The reason its got a lot of people talking is because it features a replacements demo with Tom Waits. One of the criticisms I have heard about this is that its nothing more than a curio. I've only listened to it a couple of times but hearing Waits add his gravelly tones to We Know The Night is pretty special if you ask me. Getting two of my all time favourite songwriters and musicians on one song is always going to score big with me. There's other bits and pieces on 3oclockreep too, like an acoustic version of Tell Em All To Go To Hell, which I had never heard and enjoyed very much. However, one of my favourite things about it is the new song Finally Here Once, which glimmers and jangles like the last couple of albums have and has an ultra catchy chorus.

All in all, there's no excuse not to own this album, its $3.99 on Tunecore, or if you're on this side of the pond its just over £2. That's ridiculously cheap for what you get. You know it makes sense.

No comments: