Monday 17 September 2007

dead or alive you're coming with me

Just watched Robocop for the first time since I was a little kid. While its a fairly dumb (yet highly enjoyable) action movie (and the ed-209 scenes have not aged well at all), I never noticed all the Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (the book, not the diabolical movie) shit going on. There's a fair few paralells between Robocop and Frankenstein's Monster. I was also thinking about the whole 'body horror' theme and how prevalent it is in films from that era. To name a few there are David Cronenberg's The Fly, Edward Scissorhands and even Blade Runner to an extent. I am nerdishly excited about the final cut boxset of Blade Runner reaching these shores in December. FIVE (!!!) different version of the movie, I'm going to bust a nut over this.
Other thoughts going through my head are the typical ones. Was talking with a friend earlier about a past relationship and she was saying how we really had something. I told her something, and I believe every word of it:
Yes, I had something with this girl. I gave her parts of myself that I didn't know I had, and in the end it all exploded in my face, but that's fine. If this girl wants to go out with a new guy who eats meat, takes her to theme parks and takes her to the movies all the time instead of doing what we did: fine, its her loss, she can go for the easy option and go out with someone dull. We didn't have to go theme parks, we rarely went to the movies and we rarely even watched dvds together. Why? Cause we had so much to say to each other. Most of our first (and throughout most of relationship) dates involved us talking until most people were at work the next day. I'd cook for her, we'd talk about books we had read and lay around listening to records and generally enjoying each other's company. Now that's all over and I'm sad I don't have anyone to do that with, but she wanted to go for typical boring guy whose idea of fun is getting shitfaced drunk in a club where they play r&b and where the perverts roam, whose favourite record is an Oasis one, whose favourite movie featured lots of explosions and minimal storyline, whose favourite book was a harry potter one or a jeremy clarkson autobiography.
Now referring to my friend earlier, she said that when she felt the way I felt about this girl, she thought she'd never get over it. Me, I'm a realist. I wouldn't be surprised if I felt that way within the next year.
Ladies: I'm looking (or not looking as it would seem) for a girl who can make me laugh, who can tell me 100 things I didn't already know, who could talk to me about foreign film directors and not sound prententious, who had read books that I've never even heard of. Most of all, I'm looking for a girl who could stay up talking to me all night and not get bored of hearing my voice or her own. Apply within.

No comments: