Monday 24 September 2007

let me go let me go let me go!

So, this weekend was highly highly entertaining.
Saturday was the Lemuria/Ringers show in Glasgow, so here's a review for you:

First band on, I never caught the name of, but they were alright. Very sludgey/doomy. Kinda like Isis or Sunn 0))) . A lot of people really weren't into them, and their sound was very typical of the genre, but I quite enjoyed them.
Second was a band called Carraway. They were quite fun, had a few technical problems but they were good. They're a mancunian band of the sort of post emo indie rock variety, kinda like Sunny Day Real Estate, Mineral, I Hate Myself, etc.
Next was the only Scottish band on the bill, The Kimberly Steaks. I don't know how many times I've seen them before, and the singer is a good friend of mine so I'm probably somewhat biased but they rocked again. They were all hungover and tired but still played really hard. This is the first time I have seen them with their new bass player, Ade. he moves around a lot more than the last one. Kimberly Steaks play fun kinda gruff pop-punk, they remind me a lot of Pinhead Gunpowder or Osker.
Second from the top was Ringers. Ringers are a band from Boston MA. I had heard a little before and thought they'd be a lot like Dillinger Four (which is not necessarily a bad thing but I didn't want them to be too much like another band). They weren't all that much like Dillinger Four actually, but they were one of the best bands I have ever seen. They were so energetic and so much fun. Everything song was like a party. I picked up the split 6" (on red clear vinyl, which according to the guitarist is out of print now) which has their song "Dialtones" (and I think they played it first or second on Saturday) and its unbelievable. The lyrics are so good, to me it feels like its about lost love. I cannot recommend this band enough.
Finally, the night was finished with a band from Buffalo NY called Lemuria. I had heard Lemuria before and I really liked them. It's too easy to say that they sound like Discount because they're a pop punk band with a girl playing the guitar who sings most of the songs. It's lazy journalism to compare every female fronted pop punk band to Discount and I see it all the time. Anyway, Lemuria are similar to Discount in the way previously described, but there's a serious C86 vibe going on too, a lot of the songs (both musically and in lyrical themes) reminded me of the Wedding Present, who are one of my favourite bands.
Anyway, Lemuria totally rocked, they opened with In A World Of Ghosts which is a song I think is about being away from someone you love, I really like that song. Sheena (the singer) is totally adorable, the whole band are really passionate and totally for real. I fell in love with the band after reading an interview in February's Maximum Rock N Roll. I also picked up "The First Collection" (which I hadn't seen before), its a compilation of songs from the splits and 7"s the band have done, its really worth hearing.
I described Saturday as "the night that kept on giving", it was so much fun. I was meant to be going with this girl and I had so much fun I don't even care that she didn't turn up.
Stayed at a friends house, stayed up really late talking, smoking, drinking beer. It was nice.
Last night I hung out with girl a at her house, hadn't seen her all week. I am going to miss her so much. She gave me her acoustic guitar because she's not going to be able to take it travelling with her. It was a really sweet gesture that I really appreciate. I guess now I have a real reason to go travelling in North America next year.
Saw Persona this afternoon, the Ingmar Bergman movie, they were showing it in a local cinema. I hadn't seen it before, it was a bit of a headfuck and very Bergman. I liked it a lot. Think I'm going to watch The Graduate tonight, its on TV and I've never seen it.

3 comments:

If You Make It said...

Glad you enjoyed Lemuria, they are some awesome people and friends.

There's a bunch of videos of them at my site/blog.

http://www.ifyoumakeit.com

along with a bunch of other videos (ghost mice, paul baribeau....)

Sofia said...

The graduate is one of my favorite movies, did you like it?

hot animal machine! said...

I was wrong, it wasn't on. I'll see it somehow, don't worry.