Friday 30 May 2008

why tony stark rules and carrie bradshaw does not

Iron Man is one of the few films based around a comic book character that has lived up to the hype. Everything about it rocks, it even has an instrumental version of Black Sabbath's Iron Man at the end. It made me a very happy man indeed. I missed the post-credits scene where Samuel L Jackson appears as Nick Fury and I loved the film so much that I'm debating whether to see it again and drag my girlfriend along so she can also marvel (oh what a pun!) at how awesome this film is.
In other exciting summer films, I'm really excited about the new Incredible Hulk film coming out in 2 weeks. Outside of internet-world I might be one of three people in Scotland who are really excited about this film. I don't know what there is not to like, I even quite enjoyed the first one. Besides, it has Ed Norton in it. The man does not do bad films. If Norton appeared in a bad film, the world might implode.
Today marks the opening of that Sex and The City film. I won't be seeing it, but at least I have seen enough of the TV show to have an opinion on it. Around the age of 13, SATC was great because it featured (somewhat) attractive women talking about and performing sex. At the age of 13, this was awesome. Now, I saw it again at the age of 17 (let's just say by that age I had been 'enlightened' by other videotapes) and it was terrible. I found it almost borderline offensive to women. As if all they cared about was money, fucking, and shoes. The film's also about 2 and a half hours long, which is pretty fucking long for what is effectively a romcom. Generally romcoms seem to hit the 90 minute mark, but can go on for longer. 140 minutes upwards is the sort of running time I would leave to 'auteur' films. Stuff by directors that are so awesome they can make their films 3 days long and you'll still be wanting more. Films like Goodfellas, The Godfather, There Will Be Blood, The Deer Hunter, etc. Artistically I can't imagine SATC holding up well against any of these behemoths, but I'm pretty sure it'll probably gross more, lots of ladies want to see it.
Nerdy side note: every time I see the abbreviation SATC, I think of SOTC which was the abbreviation for the incredibly awesome PS2 game Shadow of the Colossus. I don't think anyone in Sex and the City will destroy 80 feet tall monsters using only a sword and by climbing up the thing. If it did though I would most definitely go and see it.

No comments: